The Power of a Culinary Chef Portfolio Elevating Culinary Careers
Do we eat with our eyes?
It was Apicius, the 1st Century Roman gourmand (Apicius, 1936), who purportedly coined the phrase “We eat first with our eyes”.
In cooking, skill extends beyond taste to how food looks. Chefs now recognize the value of having a chef portfolio; it’s not just a passing trend, but a career booster. A chef’s portfolio is akin to a visual story of their culinary journey, creativity, and dedication. A well-crafted portfolio makes a strong initial impact, showcasing attention to detail and innovative presentation.
In today’s social media-driven era, a chef portfolio acts as an online shop. It appeals to potential employers, collaborators, and diners. Whether high-end restaurant, an intimate event, or media exposure, a compelling portfolio sets a chef apart, generating curiosity and leaving an impressive mark.
So, do eat with our eyes? The answer is of course yes! And it is particularly important when applying for chef jobs. Here are the reasons why it is SO paramount that as a professional chef you keep a visual history of your own culinary art:
Chefs must create a captivating food portfolio to showcase their culinary skills.
For maximum impact:
1. Use high-quality photos to capture dish details.
2. Maintain consistent lighting and setup.
3. Showcase dish variety to demonstrate versatility.
4. Explain cooking methods and dish stories.
5. Highlight expertise and unique creations.
6. Prioritize best work over quantity.
7. Organize logically by cuisine or occasion.
8. Create a user-friendly portfolio, digital or physical.
9. Update with new achievements regularly.
10. Attend to presentation details.
11. Ensure mobile-friendly design.
This article, written by Tebogo Kemp