Website Hospitality Jobs Africa
Hospitality recruitment agency
Management Couple – 4* Conservation Resort – Overberg
A one-of-a-kind retreat, set in a 464Ha (to be declared) private Nature Reserve on the
banks of a lagoon, near Hermanus.
The Resort can currently host about 45 people and hosts a breakfast / lunch / dinner restaurant for
its guests. In the coming years, the company plans sensible further development on its land, as well
as a completion of the Nature Reserve declaration process.
The General Manager Position
We are hiring for a General Manager (GM) position. The GM position is full-time, lives
on-site and oversees all areas of the operation (more detail: below). The GM reports to the board, and where needed has the support of
sector experts in the area of property development, nature reserve declaration.
The position is available to a single GM or to a couple – insofar the ‘better half’ has a clearly
defined own area of responsibility within the lodge.
● Minimum of 5 years of solid management experience in lodge management
● Competent in managing a staff contingent of 30+ people; able to build and delegate to a
competent assistant management layer
● Competent in managing both the ‘front of house’ (restaurant, activities, guest experience)
and ‘back of house’ (admin, interface with marketing / sales / bookings: note marketing
and bookings are run by quality external providers)
● Comfortable supervising a next construction phase, supported by subject matter experts
● Keen to be involved with a ‘for profit, for conservation’ brand that contributes to the
thriving of the wider Stanford environment
Required skills & personality profile:
● A highly motivated and organised individual or management couple, with a passion for the
● Detail-oriented, with excellent leadership and team-building skills.
● Ability to work under pressure and organize or handle multiple tasks
● Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
● Intuitive and able to think outside the box to come up with creative solutions.
● Competitive salary package, including long term remuneration
● On-site housingDetailed areas of Responsibility
● Being the ambassador of the brand and organizational culture
● Overseeing all staff; particularly developing an assistant management layer that runs the
daily operations of all aspects of lodge and restaurant operations
● Hiring & firing, performance reviews; managing staff training & development
Guest experience / Marketing & Sales
• Build the unique brand experience for mix of international and local guests, including the
shareholder group (restaurant, lodge, activities)
• Oversee hosting & guest experience (including dealing with any calamities and / or complaints)
• Ensure efficient interface with external marketing / sales / bookings departments – including site
inspections, attending and representing the brand on limited trade shows
• Contribute to product positioning, pricing & policy discussions, marketing initiatives
• Management of special events (weddings, events, shareholder weekends)
Finance / admin / stock control
• Ensure a quality admin team is in place that carries out strong finance / admin management,
ordering of all supplies, stock control, sourcing of suppliers
• Ensure cost / wastage control, debtor / creditor management in place
• Work with Founders on budget cycles
• Ensure correct insurances and operating licenses are in place
• Management F&B experience with Executive Chef and front of house management
• Menu setting, food presentation and training (support Executive Chef)
• F&B ordering, storage, stock / cost control (with administrator, Chef)
• Ensure efficient & quality running of the housekeeping department
• Ensure efficient interface with maintenance department
Maintenance, land management
● Collaborate with maintenance and land management to (preventatively) maintain all
buildings at high standards
● Assist Founders and Management Plan writers with Development Approval Process; on-site
management of Phase 2 development project (likely taking place in 2024/2025)
● Supervise land management team to keep up quality, safety & security and alien clearing
● Oversee Management of water, energy & utilities
● Fire management plan and the implementation and execution of various fire suppression
● Represent the brand in relationship with neighbors and local authorities; work alongside
various conservation bodies and governmental departments to preserve the wildlife and
flora, and to improve the ecosystem
The position would ideally suit a managment couple who both bring unique skillls in hospitality to the table.
A 3 bedroom house is provided with a good salary.
To apply please email [email protected] or click on the apply for job button below.
If you have not heard back from us within 7 days, please accept that your application was not successful on this occasion, Have a look at more of our available jobs in the Hospitality and Catering industry