An amazing opportunity has arisen in Kampala Uganda for a senior Group F&B Operations Manager!
Our flagship property is a heritage boutique hotel with over 100 rooms, 8 conference halls, and 4 Food & Beverage Outlets. Our hotel is ranked top 10 in Kampala, and our Fb outlets are amongst the most popular in the city. Recently upgraded, the property boasts one of the best locations and grounds. With just under 200 staff, we are now expanding with a recent acquisition of a 40-room safari lodge, a boutique 12 room hotel (June 2021), a fast food restaurant (July 2021) and a beach club (December 2021). The candidate should be growth driven and assist in strengthening our core businesses to help facilitate the growth of new projects.
($100,000+/yearly package) (This is a long term partnership, so you will benefit from the growth)
-$5,000 + 20% Yearly Bonus on achieved target
-Long term incentive plan / profit share based on net revenue
-Local Shilling allowance + entertainment budge
-Housing on site
-Use of company vehicles
Role: Group Food and Beverage Manager OR CEO of Food & Beverage operations
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Kampala, Uganda.
Role Summary: We are looking for an experienced, competent, and self-motivated candidate to take over the management and drive growth of 6 multisite Food and Beverage Outlets in Uganda.
Candidate will report directly to Managing Director and benefit from profit share as well as a competitive Salary package.
Summary of role:
This is the highest position in the organization after the Financial Director and Managing director.
Once grasping a good understanding of our market and growth vision, we are looking for someone who will be proactive in strengthening and improving our existing F&B outlets to ensure they are efficient and exceed guest’s expectations. You are responsible for the day-to-day operations of all outlets, ensuring strong service standards, training and developing team members, and working within all budget guidelines. Once you have worked with the existing team and have put procedures in place to ensure its growth and sustainability, the candidate will then move their focus on the opening of new projects, growing the service team, and ensuring 100% customer satisfaction.
This is a role for someone who will audit processes and constantly improve on them, even if it is not directly under their department and even when challenging. For every problem there is a solution, and by working as a team, and searching for the best possible outcomes, a successful candidate will grow the business. Candidate should be self-motivated, finds problems and fixes them, find leaks and puts controls in place, looks at underperforming parts of business and improves them, provides weekly/monthly reports to Director, provides business information that is needed for growth/sales decisions. Ensures good relationships with suppliers. Puts KPIs in place and constantly audits performance.
In this senior position, you represent our brand and personal reputation, and it is therefore always crucial to act in a respectable manner both inside and out of the hotel grounds. When you join our team, you join our Company family, and are expected to treat other members of the company in the same way.
Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of various outlets and improve overall performance
Put SOPs/Structures in place to ensure outlets run smoothly and eliminate theft
Hire and train both kitchen and service teams where needed
Menu development and excellent food presentation
Oversee procurement of items to ensure quality and value
Develop various restaurant Brands into well known companies
Launch new products and outlets to a high standard
Key Duties & Responsibly:
1. To maximize employee productivity through the use of multi-skilling, multi-tasking and flexible scheduling to meet the financial goals of the business as well as the expectations of the guests.
2. To ensure that each profit centre (e.g. Outlet, Bar, Banquets, beach club) is operated in line with maximizing profit while delivering on the brand promise.
3. To ensure that each cost centre (e.g. Stewarding) operates with the lowest possible cost structure while also delivering on the brand promise to the guest.
4. To coordinate the preparation of the Annual Business Plan for Food and Beverage.
5. To strategically analyze business performance to facilitate accurate and meaningful forecasting, involving the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
6. To proactively manage costs based on key performance indicators, working through the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
7. To ensure that all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to financial record keeping, money handling and licensing are adhered to, including the timely and accurate reporting of financial information
8. To assist in the inventory management and ongoing maintenance of hotel operating equipment and other assets.
9. To actively participate in weekly yield and revenue management meetings, overseeing the appropriate pricing structures to maximize yield and overall profits in Outlets and Banquets.
1. To ensure that all company minimum brand standards have been implemented, and that optional brand standards have been implemented where appropriate.
2. To monitor all operations, especially during peak business periods, working through the respective Head of Department to make adjustments where necessary.
3. To make sure that all best practices the Food and Beverage are implemented.
4. To feedback the results of the Consumer Audit and to ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
5. To work closely with other team members in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.
6. To make sure that Food and Beverage employees work in a supportive and flexible manner with other departments, in a spirit of “One Team, One Dream”.
7. To make sure that all employees are up to date with the availability of seasonal and new products on the market.
8. To taste and monitor the food and beverage products served throughout the operation, providing feedback where appropriate.
9. To ensure the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene
1. To ensure that the Food and Beverage activities are aligned with the respective Corporate Strategy, and that the Hotel Actions have been implemented where appropriate.
2. To oversee the preparation and update of individual Departmental Operations Manuals.
3. To conduct regular divisional communications meetings and ensure that departmental briefings and meetings are effective and conducted as necessary.
1. To prepare, utilize and update an Annual Marketing Plan, broken down as necessary by department.
2. To constantly evaluate local, national and international market trends, vendors and other hotel/restaurant operations to make sure that the hotel’s own operations remain competitive and cutting edge.
3. To encourage Heads of Department to look for Marketing and Public Relations opportunities to increase awareness and ultimately business.
1. To oversee and assist in the recruitment and selection of all Food and Beverage employees. To make sure that Heads of Department follow hotel guidelines when recruiting and use a competency-based approach to selecting their employees.
2. To oversee the punctuality and appearance of all Food and Beverage employees, making sure that they wear the correct uniform and maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene, according to the hotel and department’s grooming standards.
3. To maximize the effectiveness of Heads of Department by developing each of their skills and abilities through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.
4. To conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with Heads of Department and to support them in their professional development goals. To ensure that they in turn conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with their employees.
5. To ensure that each Head of Department plans and implements effective training programmes for their employees in coordination with the Training Manager and their Departmental Trainers.
6. To encourage employees to be creative and innovative, challenging and recognising them for their contribution to the success of the operation.
7. To support the implementation of company policy, demonstrating and reinforcing the company’s Values and Culture Characteristics.
8. To ensure that all employees have a complete understanding of and adhere to employee rules and regulations.
9. To ensure that employees follow all company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to fire and hazard safety, and security.
10. To feedback the results of the Employee Opinion Survey and to ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
1. To ensure that all employees deliver the brand promise and provide exceptional guest service at all times.
2. To ensure that employees also provide excellent service to internal customers in other departments as appropriate.
3. To spend time in public areas observing employee-guest interaction and talking with guests, working through Heads of Department to coach employees in guest service skills as necessary.
4. To handle all guest and internal customer complaints and inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, following through to make sure problems are resolved satisfactorily.
1. To maintain strong, professional relationships with the relevant representatives from competitor hotels and other organisations.
2. To respond to changes in the Food and Beverage function as dictated by the industry, company and Resort.
3. To read the hotel’s Employee Handbook and have an understanding of and adhere to the hotel’s rules and regulations and in particular, the policies and procedures relating to fire, hygiene, health and safety.
4. To attend training sessions and meetings as and when required.
5. To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Recruitment and Selection
To recruit staff for the food and beverage department and liaise with human resource team to find staff.
Candidates must have:
Minimum 7 years Food & Beverage experience
Minimum 2 years experience in a hotel
Minimum 3 years in leadership positions
Minimum 2 years experience in East or South Africa
Be self driven and self motivated
Strong Computer skills
Entrepreneurial spirit & Vision for growth
Understand the Importance of Branding and developing a Brand
Understanding of Excellent customer service
Training & Empowerment abilities
Ability to open and start a new restaurants from scratch
Passion for food and a good understanding of Bar service
Be a team player
Additional experience of value:
Kitchen Experience / Fast Food Chain experience
Branded hotel experience
If you have started a business and failed
High grades/Top performer from any Educational background
Basic Accounting skills / HR Skills
TO APPLY: UPDATED CV TO SARAH AND RECENT PHOTOGRAPH.