Busy neighbourhood restaurant and bar in Constantia Valley Cape Town are seeking an experienced front of house manager for their upmarket casual dining restaurant, bar and events.
Own transport is vital and beneficial to live in the Southern Suburbs for night time driving.
As the main operator, it is expected that this person fully understands all aspects of the Brand concept. A complete understanding of both front and back of house procedures are fundamental. Comprehensive product knowledge, brand history and company culture form integral parts of this position. It is expected that perfection is the bench mark and anything less is unacceptable
- To provide leadership, coaching and direction to their team in order to generate sales and manage the long term sales and profitability of the unit.
- Ensure the consistent highest quality of service provision in line with the company vision and mission. Strive to exceed expectations on a daily basis.
- Co-ordinates and executes the delivery of outstanding service and achieving sales targets and budget controls as outlined.
REPORTS TO: General Manager / Senior Operator
SUBORDINATES: Front of House Staff
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
Sales and Marketing
- Promote the unit in all dealings internally an externally
- Actively build relationships and communicate daily with customers
- Execute outstanding service to achieve sales targets personally and for the unit
- Utilize all marketing tools made available to you to enhance sales
- Ideas in improvements to be communicated with senior management
- Ensure effective up-selling training and techniques to all departments
- Contribute ideas, trends and improvements to existing systems & processes
Quality and Service
- Ensures a suitable and appropriate atmosphere is created and maintained to enhance customer satisfaction
- Coordinates implementation and execution of new products consistently within the unit.
- Maintains the highest standards of quality for raw products
- Maintains the highest standards of finished product
- Maintains the highest standards of service
- Ensures menu changes are done in line with market demands
- Ensure effective use shift planning to support one hundred percent customer satisfaction
- Ensures that cost control measures consistence are used to identify and address operational opportunities
People and Training
- Commit to the company vision and values
- Ensures tasks are delegated appropriately and followed up to ensure they are completed on time.
- Ensure daily training takes place – standard practice – a trained employee is a valued employee
- Ensure that the company vision – service standard is understood by all levels of staff
- Ensure pro-active approach is taken to hiring employees in line with company policy
- Show respect to yourself, your work, your co-worker, products and equipment.
- Lead by example with regards to your work performance, time keeping, attitude and deliverability of consistent high work quality. Sense of urgency.
- Display team work and assist co-workers where you can – promote initiative, work in a pro-active manner in all tasks required.
- Take pride in personal hygiene in relation to presentation of the highest standard of cleanliness – “The customer is in full view at all times”
- Rewards and recognizes the results of all the employees
- Drives weekly management meetings involving proactive planning = positive impact on the unit
- Ensure a motivated, productive staff complement who are able to exceed customers expectations – Tasks are delegated and followed up to ensure completed on time.
- Complete and present performance reviews based on defined goals and objectives and in accordance company policy
- Demonstrates and reinforces leadership skills required to gain commitment from the employees
- Knows, enforce, educate staff on all appropriate HR / LR policies, Health and safety procedures – (Time keeping – Providing a Service – Attendance – Training)
- Ensure tasks are delegated and followed up to ensure they are completed ON TIME
- Ensure to handle complaints as per company procedure – Utmost professionalism
- People training and development – Cross-training of staff to ensure a highly skilled workforce. Knowledge about people behaviour with excellent delegation of secondary management functions
- Communication skills – staff briefs and clarity
Product / Profitability
- Ensure “no out of stock” policy is adhered to
- Apply required methods and procedures in order to serve high quality item to customer
- Pay attention to detail and maintain high standards of product quality.
- Ensure production in line with expected trade levels – maintain stock levels as availability of product to meet patron demand – No product No business
- Know your recipes and procedures – maintain standard by adhering to the recipes.
- Adhere to company stock control systems and procedures
- Ensure to implement and maintain controls in relations to all stock and controls as per company requirement. ( food – beverage – packaging – cleaning – condiments – operational expenses )
- Achieve desired COS percentage and controls as outlined to achieve and maintained as set by the owners of the company. Contribute to bottom line by maintaining food and beverage cost as per budget.
- Ensure Food and Beverage Management Principals achieved
Ordering – Price controls – Stock Taking – process – Stock under Lock and Key – Security Staff Searches / Bin Searches – Waste controls – Production Control – Product Quality
Following stock sheet to shelf so to control and implement effective ordering.
- Have to understand what an acceptable food cost is and that it equate to money saved. Proper training with regards to stock take and basic understanding of budgets and figures.
- Checking in orders properly to price and quality. Ensuring that FIFO is followed in relation to products and that correct issuing is done.
- Know how to operate Pilot – My Inventory – Point of Sales – Trouble Shooting
- Conduct accurate weekly stock takes on the standard inventory sheet as per procedures.
- Administrative policies and procedures to be adhered to (ensure accuracy)
Cash Book – Journal – Invoicing – Banking Procedures
Cash and Monies Handling Internal (Float – Payouts)
- Ensure all F&B reports are completed and balanced to finance as stipulated admin procedure. * if applicable
- Deadlines met for weekly and monthly reporting
Management of Capital Resources
- Preventative maintenance program to be carried out on all designated capital equipment (report if not in working order)
- Ensure that all equipment is properly maintained for safety as well as profitability
Health, Hygiene, Safety and Environmental Responsibility
- Implement and maintain requirements of Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for staff and customers
- Monitor hygiene and cleanliness standards of the kitchen / stores daily
- Enforce waste separation by all F&B staff
- Ensure First Aid Kits are kept stocked as per required list of requirements
- Maintenance of fire equipment annually – checks / servicing hereof