Food and Beverage Recruitment
Food and Beverage Recruitment
Need job descriptions for your food and beverage recruitment? Here is our comprehensive list of job specs for F&B Managers, Restaurant Managers, Sommeliers, Bar Managers and waiting staff that you will need for a successful hospitality recruitment drive.
BAR MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: BAR MANAGER JOB
RESPONSIBLE TO: F&B Manager
SCOPE & GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE BAR MANAGER JOB:
- To direct, control and organise all staff, within your direct span of control, including the Assistant Bar Manager, ensuring customer requirements are satisfied.
- To assume overall responsibility for the running of the Bar.
- To attend weekly HOD meetings.
- To carry out Duty Management shifts as required.
- To maintain an open and accurate channel of communication with the entire Management Team.
- To implement, control & review all procedures relating to stock control, cash handling, EPOS, purchasing and stock & waste disposal as relevant to the bar dept.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Quality of Service:
To satisfy all customer requirements by ensuring that the service is constantly maintained at a consistently high standard with particular focus on regular clientele in the Public Bar
To maintain and/or implement new efficient and effective work methods and systems.
To prepare and issue, according to bar practice, staff rotas which will provide adequate cover in the most effective manner.
To carry out ordering of supplies as and when necessary.
To carry out accurate cash-up procedures at end of night.
To liaise with HODs of Kitchen and other Departments regarding procedures, service, etc.
To be informed and aware of all relevant legislation regarding service of liquor, the sale of tobacco, opening hours, etc.
To be responsible for ensuring that security procedures are adhered to throughout the hotel.
To communicate regularly and efficiently with Assistant Bar Manager and HODs
To constantly strive to improve the standards of hygiene and service throughout the bar.
To practice economy and to minimise any incorrect usage of any resources with particular attention given to achieving G.P %/Labour % and minimising variable expenses.
To regularly price check all beverage items bought for the operation, to ensure that we are buying at the best prices available.
To ensure all deliveries are checked in correctly and that all relevant delivery dockets/ invoices are correct.
To ensure that all services delivered within the bar operation are being charged for correctly by
To continually monitor three beverage stock items per week, and communicate any shortages to the General Manager.
Supervision: To hold regular departmental meetings.
- To direct, control and organise the assistant bar manager and all staff within your direct span of control and to ensure that the required standards are achieved and maintained.
- To advise staff of unavailability, composition of dishes, information relation to drinks, wines, etc., and any other relevant information in order to ensure the efficient operation of the Bar.
- To set good example for the staff with regard to punctuality, attendance, attitude and hygiene.
- To liase with the Human Resources Manager regarding recruitment needs, to review all CVs sent in by the Hospitality Recruitment Agency and to carry out interviews as required for food and beverage recruitment.
- To train new staff in methods and procedures.
- To implement Grievance and Disciplinary procedures where necessary, and report all serious breaches of discipline to Operations Manager, General Manager.
- To promote and practice relevant health and safety and fire safety standards.
- To provide induction training for new staff, and complete Skills Checklists within their first month of employment.
- To assess training needs and provide relevant training.
To practice high standards of personal hygiene at all times in terms of grooming and uniform.
To maintain the required standards of operational hygiene according to the cleaning rotas at all times.
To display total loyalty to the management of the Hotel in the day-to-day performance of your role.
- To maintain a harmonious work relationship between yourself, your assistant staff and customers.
- To provide all staff with a thorough understanding of their jobs and standards of performance and to clarify duties and responsibilities.
- To communicate a positive attitude, sincere interest, and to interact in a positive way with management and staff alike.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as may be notified to you by the Senior Management above.
Please Note: This Job Description is neither definitive nor restrictive and may be modified to meet changing needs.
I confirm that I have read and agreed this job description and that I fully understand the duties and responsibilities attached to my job.
Signed: _______________________________ Job Holder Date: __________
Signed: _______________________________ H.O.D. Date: __________
WAITER JOB DESCRIPTION
A waiter, server or waitron reports directly to the restaurant manager, or restaurant supervisor. When recruiting for restaurant staff, this waiter job description can be used as a guideline.
As a waiter/waitress, the candidate shall be responsible for handling jobs at allotted section, Mis en place, executing work as per restaurant supervisor’s orders, and serving customers and ensuring customer satisfaction as per company’s standards.
Duties and Responsibilities for a Waiter Job:
- Greeting guests as per the time of the day.
- Taking, punching and serving the orders.
- Preparing and settling checks.
- Bussing and resetting tables
- Maintain guest relations and smoothness of the service cycle.
- Organize take away orders efficiently and handle orders for home delivery.
- Do any other related task at the instruction of the supervisor.
- Maintain cleanliness in the restaurant.
- Do store pick up whenever necessary.
- Maintain hygiene standards
- Maintain a healthy work atmosphere.
- Other opening, hand over, ongoing and closing duties.
At least two years in an upscale style restaurant as a Captain or a senior waiter. Should have enough exposure into international cuisine and should be well versed with Burgers, Steaks, Pastas,Salads, Desserts, Sandwiches etc.
- Must have excellent communication skills, especially in English.
- Must have good food knowledge
- Must be well groomed with a pleasing personality.
- Must be a team player and also a hard worker.
- Must have good interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to deal well with guests and make them feel at home.
- Must be a smart person with a genuine attitude
- Must be always willing to learn.
- Must have awareness of modern restaurant soft wares and POS systems.Must have the right attitude to the service industry.
Matric Graduate or Diploma in Hotel management preferred.
RESTAURANT MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Under the guidance of the Operations Manager, the Restaurant Manager will assist in all aspects of the day-to-day Restaurant operation.
External: Interacts with guests as well as individuals outside hotel including suppliers, competitors, government officials
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate expectations to the Associates through:
- Departmental Orientation
- Job Description
- Training Programs
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Development of Associates
- Monthly Departmental Meetings
- Conflict Resolution/Progressive Discipline
- Assists in the management of the day to day operation of the Restaurant, leading by example, to achieve the highest level of Guest satisfaction
- Assists the Operations Manager in special projects and assignments
- Makes recommendations with respect to Operations promotions in order to achieve service delivery objectives
- Implements and delivers pre-established Operations promotions in order to achieve service delivery objectives
- Researches, recommends, and introduces methods, products and services to improve the service delivery system as it relates to the the Restaurant.
- Uses Point of Sale (POS) equipment to it’s maximum effectiveness enhancing the guest’s experience and enforcing all operations policies and procedures
- Participates in pricing strategies when menus are reviewed to maintain departmental food costs
- Assists in planning budgeted operational expenditures to provide operating supplies, services and requirements necessary to meet established standards
- Provides required tools, equipment and support to all Associates for the smooth execution of service delivery
- Monitors and maintains service delivered according to the Policies and Procedures Manual
- Assists the Operations Manger in administrative duties including but limited to reports and check lists
- Communicates fire, emergency and health and safety procedures in conformance with the laws having jurisdiction
- Performs tasks and projects assigned by management
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently
Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests
- Two (2) years experience in Operations management or supervisory role in a 4 or 5 star hotel
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding
- Ability to provide legible written communication to a high standard
- Familiarity with yield management and cost controls
- College degree or equivalent years of experience
- Certification in C.P.R
- Computer training
- Ability to enforce Hotel’s standards, policies and procedures with all Food and Beverage associates.
- Ability to forecast accurately
- Ability to prioritise and organize work assignments; delegate work
- Ability to direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections where needed
- Ability to lead and motivate staff and maintain a cohesive team
- Ability to identify departmental training needs and arrange for such training to be provided
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyse and resolve problems exercising good judgment
- Ability to focus attention of details
- Ability to input and access information into on site computer and POS systems
- Ability to remain calm and courteous with demanding/difficult guests and/or situations
- Ability to perform job functions to standards under pressure
- Ability to ensure security and confidentiality of guest and hotel information
- A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the associate occupying this position. Associates will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their manager
- This Job Description may be subject to change
I have read and understand my duties and responsibilities as described in the following job description.
NAME (Please Print) DATE
CONFERENCE & BANQUETING MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Conference & Banqueting Manager Job
To ensure the day-to-day operations are carried out in line with department and Hotel
standards providing quality service to our guests in accordance with statutory, health and
Reports to: F&B Manager
Working Liaison: F&B; Sales, Marketing; General Manager
- To ensure all guests receive a genuine, warm, friendly, courteous welcome on arrival and during their stay
- To anticipate guests needs whenever possible to enhance quality service and in turn enhance guest satisfaction
- To achieve Hotel and Departmental goals in relation to mystery audits, customer comment index etc
- To assist guests at all times.
- To ensure all guest queries are handled promptly and efficiently
- To use initiative in relation to the speedy resolution of guests queries or problems
- To report on all guest feedback to your team, ensuring speedy corrective action
- To carry out departmental standards in accordance with the SOP (standard operating procedure) Manual
- To ensure hotel standards are achieved at all times
- To ensure that the highest possible standard of personal hygiene, dress, appearance, body language and conduct is maintained at all times
- To attend all statutory training
- To organise training sessions as per the departmental training plan
- To ensure the coaching and training of new staff.
- To accept flexible work schedule necessary for uninterrupted service to Hotel guests.
- To provide support where necessary in other areas of the Hotel
- To give full cooperation to any colleague or guest requiring assistance in a prompt caring, helpful manner and to be flexible in assisting around the Hotel in response to business and client needs
Health & Safety responsibilities:
- To ensure all accident, incidents and suspicious occurrences are reported to the relevant people and to assist in providing all relevant backup.
- To maintain own working area tidy and in good shape. To report defective materials and equipment to appropriate individual
- To be familiar with and adhere to all rules and regulations of the hotel with specific regard to:
- Fire procedures
- Health and safety at work
- Security regulations
- To maintain good liaisons and communications with the rest of the management team and all other departments
- To hold monthly departmental meetings
- To actively encourage suggestions or ideas for improvement from your team members
- To attend any other meeting as necessary
Sales and costs:
- To assist in positively promoting sales within the department and maximize every sales opportunity.
- To assist in controlling departmental costs within the standards set by the annual Budget
- To monitor the stock control measures implemented, in order to achieve budgeted profit margins
- To ensure security of cash, stock and equipment and to carry out all agreed departmental/Hotel procedures
- To pass on any referred/sales leads to the sales department, to assist in sales as required
- To be aware of Hotel promotions or special activities going on in the Hotel/area
- To appraise all staff regularly in accordance with agreed appraisal procedure
- To assist in the recruitment and selection of departmental staff in accordance with agreed Hotel procedure
- To ensure the agreed disciplinary and grievance procedures are adhered to at all times
- To ensure all employee counseling is documented and passed to HR
- To work with the management team to ensure good morale amongst the team at all times
- To ensure all problems are resolved immediately within the department
- To set realistic team targets
- To promote a culture where ideas are welcome and implemented by managers and staff. To promote, encourage and reward one idea per month from each employee
- To carry out any other reasonable tasks as requested by the senior management team
- To carry out duty management shifts when required
Departmental key tasks:
To ensure all hotel functions are carried out to the highest of standards
- To liaise with the Sales dept to ensure that the client relationship is maintained through to the operation of the event
- To liaise with any external service providers to ensure the smooth running of all hotel functions & events
- To have a good working knowledge of all hotel AV systems to ensure top quality service for our events clients
The above list is not exhaustive and may be added to in the future
I have received the above Job Description and have a clear understanding of my job responsibilities
FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Position : Food & Beverage Manager Job
Job Group : Department Head
Place of Work : Food and Beverage
Division : Food and Beverage
Responsible To : Resort General Manager
Responsible For :
Assistant Food & Beverage Manager
All other Food and Beverage Employees
Scope and General Purpose of Job: To function as the Business Manager and a Marketing Specialist for the Food & Beverage Department. To ensure the various outlets and banquets operate successfully and are individually profitable in accordance with the standard of the hotel.
1. To maximize employee productivity through the use of multi-skilling, multi-tasking and flexible scheduling to meet the financial goals of the business as well as the expectations of the guests.
2. To ensure that each profit centre (e.g. Outlet, Bar, Banquets golf club) is operated in line with maximizing profit while delivering on the brand promise.
3. To ensure that each cost centre (e.g. Stewarding) operates with the lowest possible cost structure while also delivering on the brand promise to the guest.
4. To coordinate the preparation of the Annual Business Plan for Food and Beverage.
5. To strategically analyze business performance to facilitate accurate and meaningful forecasting, involving the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
6. To proactively manage costs based on key performance indicators, working through the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
7. To ensure that all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to financial record keeping, money handling and licensing are adhered to, including the timely and accurate reporting of financial information
8. To assist in the inventory management and ongoing maintenance of hotel operating equipment and other assets.
9. To actively participate in weekly yield and revenue management meetings, overseeing the appropriate pricing structures to maximize yield and overall profits in Outlets and Banquets.
1. To ensure that all company minimum brand standards have been implemented, and that optional brand standards have been implemented where appropriate.
2. To monitor all operations, especially during peak business periods, working through the respective Head of Department to make adjustments where necessary.
3. To make sure that all best practices the Food and Beverage Top 20 are implemented.
4. To feedback the results of the Consumer Audit and to ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
5. To work closely with other team members in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.6. To make sure that Food and Beverage employees work in a supportive and flexible manner with other departments, in a spirit of “We work through Teams”.7. To make sure that all employees are up to date with the availability of seasonal and new products on the market.8. To taste and monitor the food and beverage products served throughout the operation, providing feedback where appropriate.
Administration1. To ensure that the Food and Beverage activities are aligned with the respective Corporate Strategy, and that the Hotel Actions have been implemented where appropriate.2. To oversee the preparation and update of individual Departmental Operations Manuals.3. To conduct regular divisional communications meetings and ensure that departmental briefings and meetings are effective and conducted as necessary.
1. To prepare, utilize and update an Annual Marketing Plan, broken down as necessary by department.
2. To constantly evaluate local, national and international market trends, vendors and other hotel/restaurant operations to make sure that the hotel’s own operations remain competitive and cutting edge.
3. To encourage Heads of Department to look for Marketing and Public Relations opportunities to increase awareness and ultimately business.
1. To oversee and assist in the recruitment and selection of all Food and Beverage employees. To make sure that Heads of Department follow hotel guidelines when recruiting and use a competency-based approach to selecting their employees.
2. To oversee the punctuality and appearance of all Food and Beverage employees, making sure that they wear the correct uniform and maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene, according to the hotel and department’s grooming standards.
3. To maximize the effectiveness of Heads of Department by developing each of their skills and abilities through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.
4. To conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with Heads of Department and to support them in their professional development goals. To ensure that they in turn conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with their employees.
5. To ensure that each Head of Department plans and implements effective training programmes for their employees in coordination with the Training Manager and their Departmental Trainers.
6. To encourage employees to be creative and innovative, challenging and recognising them for their contribution to the success of the operation.
7. To support the implementation of company policy, demonstrating and reinforcing the company’s Values and Culture Characteristics.
8. To ensure that all employees have a complete understanding of and adhere to employee rules and regulations.
9. To ensure that employees follow all Resort, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to fire and hazard safety, and security.
10. To feedback the results of the Employee Opinion Survey and to ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
1. To ensure that all employees deliver the brand promise and provide exceptional guest service at all times.
2. To ensure that employees also provide excellent service to internal customers in other departments as appropriate.
3. To spend time in public areas observing employee-guest interaction and talking with guests, working through Heads of Department to coach employees in guest service skills as necessary.
4. To handle all guest and internal customer complaints and inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, following through to make sure problems are resolved satisfactorily.
1. To maintain strong, professional relationships with the relevant representatives from competitor hotels and other organisations.
2. To respond to changes in the Food and Beverage function as dictated by the industry, company and Resort.
3. To read the hotel’s Employee Handbook and have an understanding of and adhere to the hotel’s rules and regulations and in particular, the policies and procedures relating to fire, hygiene, health and safety.
4. To attend training sessions and meetings as and when required.
5. To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Recruitment and Selection
To recruit staff for the food and beverage department and liaise with hospitality recruitment agencies to find staff for food and beverage recruitment.