Position : Food & Beverage Manager
Job Group : Department Head
Place of Work : Food and Beverage
Division : Food and Beverage
Responsible To : Resort General Manager
Responsible For :
Assistant Food & Beverage Manager
All other Food and Beverage Employees
Scope and General Purpose of Job: To function as the Business Manager and a Marketing Specialist for the Food & Beverage Department. To ensure the various outlets and banquets operate successfully and are individually profitable in accordance with the standard of the hotel.
1. To maximize employee productivity through the use of multi-skilling, multi-tasking and flexible scheduling to meet the financial goals of the business as well as the expectations of the guests.
2. To ensure that each profit centre (e.g. Outlet, Bar, Banquets golf club) is operated in line with maximizing profit while delivering on the brand promise.
3. To ensure that each cost centre (e.g. Stewarding) operates with the lowest possible cost structure while also delivering on the brand promise to the guest.
4. To coordinate the preparation of the Annual Business Plan for Food and Beverage.
5. To strategically analyze business performance to facilitate accurate and meaningful forecasting, involving the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
6. To proactively manage costs based on key performance indicators, working through the respective Heads of Department as appropriate.
7. To ensure that all hotel, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to financial record keeping, money handling and licensing are adhered to, including the timely and accurate reporting of financial information
8. To assist in the inventory management and ongoing maintenance of hotel operating equipment and other assets.
9. To actively participate in weekly yield and revenue management meetings, overseeing the appropriate pricing structures to maximize yield and overall profits in Outlets and Banquets.
1. To ensure that all company minimum brand standards have been implemented, and that optional brand standards have been implemented where appropriate.
2. To monitor all operations, especially during peak business periods, working through the respective Head of Department to make adjustments where necessary.
3. To make sure that all best practices the Food and Beverage Top 20 are implemented.
4. To feedback the results of the Consumer Audit and to ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
5. To work closely with other team members in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.6. To make sure that Food and Beverage employees work in a supportive and flexible manner with other departments, in a spirit of “We work through Teams”.7. To make sure that all employees are up to date with the availability of seasonal and new products on the market.8. To taste and monitor the food and beverage products served throughout the operation, providing feedback where appropriate.
Administration1. To ensure that the Food and Beverage activities are aligned with the respective Corporate Strategy, and that the Hotel Actions have been implemented where appropriate.2. To oversee the preparation and update of individual Departmental Operations Manuals.3. To conduct regular divisional communications meetings and ensure that departmental briefings and meetings are effective and conducted as necessary.
1. To prepare, utilize and update an Annual Marketing Plan, broken down as necessary by department.
2. To constantly evaluate local, national and international market trends, vendors and other hotel/restaurant operations to make sure that the hotel’s own operations remain competitive and cutting edge.
3. To encourage Heads of Department to look for Marketing and Public Relations opportunities to increase awareness and ultimately business.
1. To oversee and assist in the recruitment and selection of all Food and Beverage employees. To make sure that Heads of Department follow hotel guidelines when recruiting and use a competency-based approach to selecting their employees.
2. To oversee the punctuality and appearance of all Food and Beverage employees, making sure that they wear the correct uniform and maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene, according to the hotel and department’s grooming standards.
3. To maximize the effectiveness of Heads of Department by developing each of their skills and abilities through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.
4. To conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with Heads of Department and to support them in their professional development goals. To ensure that they in turn conduct annual Performance Development Discussions with their employees.
5. To ensure that each Head of Department plans and implements effective training programmes for their employees in coordination with the Training Manager and their Departmental Trainers.
6. To encourage employees to be creative and innovative, challenging and recognising them for their contribution to the success of the operation.
7. To support the implementation of company policy, demonstrating and reinforcing the company’s Values and Culture Characteristics.
8. To ensure that all employees have a complete understanding of and adhere to employee rules and regulations.
9. To ensure that employees follow all Resort, company and local rules, policies and regulations relating to fire and hazard safety, and security.
10. To feedback the results of the Employee Opinion Survey and to ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
1. To ensure that all employees deliver the brand promise and provide exceptional guest service at all times.
2. To ensure that employees also provide excellent service to internal customers in other departments as appropriate.
3. To spend time in public areas observing employee-guest interaction and talking with guests, working through Heads of Department to coach employees in guest service skills as necessary.
4. To handle all guest and internal customer complaints and inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, following through to make sure problems are resolved satisfactorily.
1. To maintain strong, professional relationships with the relevant representatives from competitor hotels and other organisations.
2. To respond to changes in the Food and Beverage function as dictated by the industry, company and Resort.
3. To read the hotel’s Employee Handbook and have an understanding of and adhere to the hotel’s rules and regulations and in particular, the policies and procedures relating to fire, hygiene, health and safety.
4. To attend training sessions and meetings as and when required.
5. To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.